Benefits of Cognitive Rehabilitation Following Brain Injury Caused by Car Crashes
by Dr Ascione
The cases of brain injury caused by car crashes have been a lot common. The individuals with brain injury develop cognitive problem which become a great barrier of return to the normal life. The common difficulties which such people have to struggle with include memory, social behavior, attention, safety judgement, planning and difficult- in carrying out the future actions. The person’s ability of succeeding at work, school or home is influenced. These cognitive problems need to be treated otherwise the long term effects can get a lot devastating.
Introduction to Cognitive Rehabilitation Therapy
Cognitive Rehabilitation Therapy (CRT) is a term which is used for creating treatments that address cognitive problems caused as a result of a brain injury. The institute of Medicine issued a report on 2011 that says Cognitive Rehabilitation enhances the functioning and independence in the patients suffering from cognitive impairments caused by brain damage or a brain disease. There are two approaches to CRT:
• Restoration Treatment: The goal of this treatment is to improve the cognitive system for functioning in a variety of activities
• Compensatory treatment: In this treatment, the patient is trained for solution to a specific problem like using the memory notebooks and even the self-cuing strategies.
CRT is basically a goal oriented approach meant to help patients in increasing their ability for processing and interpreting information. There are variety of treatments involved in CRT. Sometimes, even the family of the patient has to participate in the treatment. The survivors of brain injury have to often face long-term challenges in the rehabilitation and reintegration. They need not just treatment but rehabilitation policies so that their caretakers can cope with their impairments.
Benefits of CRT for Patients with Brain Injury
• CRT targets towards resolving cognitive and communication problems. This problem has to be treated early while the patient is in the hospital. It helps in increasing the skills of attention and alertness among the patient. It also focuses on improving the orientation to time, place, person, situation and even speech.
• The patient goes through intensive therapy by the physical therapists, neuropsychologists, pathologists and even occupational therapists.
• The goal of the entire rehabilitation is to help the patient in progressing and developing an independent level of functioning. As they get better, they start to express their needs in simple terms. Some do it verbally while for others, it is an improvement in the ability of expressing by pointing to pictures.
Usually, a comprehensive rehabilitation program is designed according to the individual situation for different impairments. Sometimes, the focus is on making a single cognitive function to work. The response of the individual to a specific treatment varies depending on the injury, his prior health and even the social context. Different treatments have to be performed at different stages.
Overall, the treatment is quite effective in helping the patient slowly and connecting him to the normal life and loved ones. Many researchers are working on CRT and coming up with the right strategies for patients with different extent of damages.